Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Thoughtful graffiti?

I've read a lot lately about graffiti in Europe, particularly in Italy, and how a lot of it seems to be politically or socially motivated, rather than arbitrary like most of the graffiti in the U.S. In the past couple of months, however, I've started to notice a rise in the amount of political graffiti showing up in Columbus. I'm not sure if it's because of the current state of our government, or a spike in the number of people turning to creative endeavors to voice their discontent, but one thing is certain: these sort of guerrilla graffiti artists, as i've dubbed them, have some creative and thought provoking ideas. Take, for instance, the first piece I noticed, while driving to work a few months ago:



At first I didn't really understand the point, and then I noted the placement of the painting next to the phone. After asking some people in the Short North, where this is found, I found out that it was painted sometime after the Patriot Act was signed and solidified, which makes complete sense.

Next, this one was pointed out to me by a colleague at work, who had driven past it countless times before he even realized it was there:



Apparently, it showed up sometime after Hurricane Katrina hit. Again, the message is subtle but biting. When I went looking for it the first time, I drove by it three or four times before finally seeing it. I think that's what appeals to me about it; how you don't even realize it's there until you look. In fact, just one street down is an identical sign with the actual, city mandated message "No parking during snow emergencies."

This next one isn't as creative as the previous two, but it's still clearly politically motivated:



Again, not as creative as some of the ones i've been seeing, but lightyears ahead of most of the trash that gets sprayed on walls around here. Is there anything comparable to this in your town? I'd love to see what others around the U.S., or world for that matter, are noticing.

************************
Update: Well, after I initially published this post, I was looking through the other pictures I took today. I noticed this one, which is the Uncle Sam piece, but from a different angle:



Now scroll back up to the street sign picture. Notice anything similar between the two? I guess after looking at both of them, I had sort of an investigative epiphany:






Looks like we have a serial, politico graffiti artist on our hands. I need to do some more investigation into this one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Walker Evans said...

The artist(s) is called "Vinchen". There's been articles about him/her/it in the Other Paper and The Lantern recently. Google "Vinchen" and you'll find their website where all of their work is displayed. ;)

...
Walker
www.ColumbusUnderground.com

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home